All offers of employment at are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. The Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera strives to be recognized for the performance and presentation of high-quality music, also to engage and enrich people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the arts, and aim to provide meaningful and relevant programming for our communities. The SP&O is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, or another non-merit factor. All are welcome at the Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera.
Operations and Artist Services Job Description
Title: Operations and Artist Services
Reports To: Director of Operations & Community Engagement
Works With: Stage Manager, Librarian, Personnel Manager, Project Consultants
Supervises: Production Assistants
Job Summary: This position supports the Director of Operation & Community Engagement (DOCE) in executing the mission of the Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera (SP&O) by helping implement the day-to-day activities of orchestral and operatic operations, and assist with supporting community engagement and education activities as necessary
Compensation: $22-$24 an hour, plus benefits including employer-sponsored health care, dental, two weeks PTO, opportunity to participate in SP&O Simple IRA and FSA/HSA savings plan
Hours: 40 hours per week, will require some work on evenings and weekends in conjunction with events, rehearsals, and performances. Overtime must be approved in advance by supervisor.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following non-exhaustive list summarizes the potential duties and responsibilities of the position:
- Work closely with the DOCE to implement the annual operational plan for all organizational activities
- With DOCE and other Personnel and Production staff/contractors, ensure that rehearsals and performances operate smoothly and successfully.
- Assist the DOCE in the management of the production schedules for each season.
- Be aware of and familiar with all agreements in place between the SP&O and the Unions it interacts with; where applicable, ensure compliance with policies and the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- Assist the DOCE with the preparation and execution of contracts and other needed LOAs or MOUs for Guest Artists, Guest Conductors, other individuals/contractors, etc.; ensure proper system of maintaining contracts, tax documents, etc.
- Help the DOCE and Production Manager implement and maintain the production calendar and timelines for technical and design staff.
- Help administer all production activities, including facility and equipment rental, staging requirements, and other logistical arrangements.
- Support Production Stage Manager in creation of daily schedules during rehearsal and performance period.
- Coordinate effective communication between directors, designers, and members of the production staff.
- Help the DOCE and Production Manager organize all necessary production meetings.
- Prepare production materials for incoming production/artistic staff.
- Work with the Stage Manager to administer all needs of the orchestra, including facility and equipment rental, staging requirements, piano tunings, and other logistical arrangements prior to rehearsal and at the concert hall.
- Work with the Stage Manager to supervise orchestra setup for rehearsals and performances; coordinate with the Guest Conductor regarding any special setup requirements.
- Attend all rehearsals and performances.
- Arrive backstage early to check all preparations; transport necessary materials from SP&O office to the concert hall for concert sets.
- During rehearsals, performances, etc., keep DOCE informed of all requests, problems, and other issues put forth by musicians, stage crew, guest artists, etc.
- Work with the DOCE to coordinate logistical arrangements for all special events and projects.
- Help ensure timely distribution of payroll information, checks, and reimbursements; maintain credit card receipts for submission on a monthly basis.
- Assist DOCE with completion of new hiring paperwork for musicians at rehearsals.
- Assist DOCE with tracking attendance at rehearsals and performances.
Auditions (in partnership with DOCE)
- Assist the DOCE with all aspects of the Audition process as the organization holds auditions.
- Assist the DOCE and project consultants as needed with Link Up and other Community Engagement projects.
- Book accommodations for Guest artists, including hotel, travel, and other needs as required.
- Work with Guest Conductors on finalizing rehearsal schedules.
- Approve stage plots with Guest Conductor and assist DOCE with presenting Conductor-approved plots to SP&O Artistic Committee.
- Generate Guest Conductor and Guest Artist itineraries; ensure that Artists and Conductors attend all their required meetings, engagements, etc. when engaged.
- In collaboration with Marketing/Development departments, assist with scheduling donor and press/marketing activities as applicable.
- Three or more years of experience in arts administration
- Experience with Microsoft Suite; especially Excel and Word
- Familiarity with Cloud based storage systems
- Consistent and clear communication skills
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively
- An understanding of music and/or theater vernacular preferred
- A familiarity with classical music/opera preferred
To Apply: Submit resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Operations and Artist Services.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.