Reports to: Director of Development and Major Gifts
Hours/Compensation: 40 Hours per Week, Hourly, Non-Exempt; $18/hour plus Benefits
To apply: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development and Communications Associate”. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
As the California Capital region’s premier orchestral and opera group, the Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera (SP&O) specializes in performing large-scale symphonic and operatic works with up to 70 musicians on stage. We perform 7 large-scale performances with over 10,000 attendees a year and provide a wide range of education and engagement activities for students and community members of all ages in the year.
We are in a unique and exciting period of growth, launching another exciting season of bold programming with a clear vision for the future and dedicated Board and staff leadership. We are looking for talented and passionate individuals to join our team and help us create memorable experiences that bring people together, foster community, inspire curiosity, and enrich lives through symphonic and opera music.
Reporting to the Director of Development and Major Gifts, the Development and Communications Associate will play an integral part in the SP&O’s fundraising and marketing efforts. This position will assist in running daily, weekly, and monthly Development/Marketing procedures and projects, and the ideal candidate is a motivated team player with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Compose solicitation emails and direct mail copy as Development calendar dictates
- Oversee annual giving campaigns (Giving Tuesday, Big Day of Giving, End of Year Campaigns)
- Pull leads lists for direct mail, telefunding, and email solicitation campaigns
- Work with Box Office and telefunding on single ticket buyer leads for cultivation and solicitation
- Regularly run data through wealth screening software to assess giving potential for donor segments
- Manage daily input of donations accurately and thoroughly into Spektrix SP&O database
- Create weekly donation and revenue report for Executive Director and Director of Development
- Prepare monthly comparative reports for broad base campaigns to track performance
- Monthly, reconcile list of donations with financial reports to ensure proper data accuracy
- Manage Stewardship Sub-Committee communications so that members can thank donors
- Twice a week, prepare, have proper signatory sign, and send out donation acknowledgement letters
- At all concerts, manage donor lounge/green room set-up, tear down, and transporting materials
- Before concerts and during Intermission, staff the Donor Lounge entrance and greet patrons
- Ensure sponsor signs are printed for concerts; ensure Donor Roll is up to date in concert programs
- Take minutes from meetings with Development Consultants and Development Committee
- Attend relevant training sessions, informational forums, and seminars that can benefit the SP&O
Communications & Marketing
- Work with Marketing Consultant to execute the marketing/communications strategy and plan
- Create marketing email content, and disperse all print and digital collateral to internal stakeholders
- Create engaging content across SP&O social media platforms with new content posted regularly
- Take photos and videos as necessary at SP&O rehearsals and events
- Create and manage subscriber and donor’s corner newsletters as needed
- Maintain media contact list, and ensure contacts are invited to events and can engage with the SP&O
- Maintain SP&O website; responsible for web updates including ticketing and donation information
- Provide Box Office support by speaking to patrons, selling tickets, and processing order forms
- Support and participate in all communications-related events, as well as offers and promotions
- Support and execute additional digital, print, and organizational campaigns as needed
- Coordinate orders and purchasing of SP&O collateral, signage, promotional items, and wearables
- Responsible for setting up marketing materials for SP&O events; act as table ambassador at events
- Document/track Ticketmaster ticket purchase activity in Spektrix; pull appropriate lists and reports
- Work with Director of Finance to create and distribute monthly marketing expense reports
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM with half-hour lunch, and must be able to work all concert nights (~8 per year, occur on weekends) and occasional community events. Schedule will be adjusted on event and concert weeks to not exceed 40 hours.
- Health Care and Dental Plan
- Two (2) Weeks PTO
- 12 Paid Holidays, per SP&O Holiday policy
- Option to participate in SP&O Simple IRA Retirement program and FSA Flexible Savings Plan
- Parking or public transit monthly pass provided
All offers of employment at are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. The Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera strives to be recognized for the performance and presentation of high-quality music, also to engage and enrich people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the arts, and aim to provide meaningful and relevant programming for our communities. The SP&O is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, or another non-merit factor. All are welcome at the Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera.